Thursday 13 December 2012

French Foreign Legion Artillery (1)

A few months after the FFL arrived in Spain, its commander, Colonel Joseph Bernelle, decided to form an artillery battery and a unit of lancer cavalry.  These appear to have been staffed from existing legionnaires, so presumably were trained from scratched.  The artillery battery was equipped with small calibre mountain guns.

I used this pack to try out some new Vallejo paints for the colour of French artillery woodwork.  When I last painted a French cannon (a Foundry Napoleonic set) I wasn't really happy with the colour, despite the use of the Foundry Napoleonic French artillery palette.  "French Artillery Green" is one of those colours that seems to change all the time.  Apparently the opriginal mix was 1 part black to 100 parts ochre, but I've seen many model French guns on the internet which are far more "green" than "ochre" (on the Perry Miniatures site, for example).  I just don't know how accurate this is, although there are guns at the Tower of London that look pretty similar and I now lots of wargamers have gone for a more apple-green colour.  I looked at the paintings in the (admittedly older) Ospreys and decided I wanted to have a more olive colour that captured my traditional idea of French artillery green.  As I say, I may well be behind the times a bit here. 

I decided on Vellejo paints, which I usually don't use on account of their pipette delivery system (which to me seems rather wasteful).  For the gun here I used "Yellow Green", "Dark Yellow" and "Japan Uniform WW2", variously mixeed together and with black added for the original undercoat.

4 figures and a mule. Painted May 2012.


9 comments:

James Brewerton said...

lovely work, great to see that bit extra effort to get the colours right.
Peace James
Exiles Painting

Rodger said...

Awesome painting Giles. Love the photos.

Steve h said...

They look great!

Ubique Matt said...

Beuatiful painted figures as always.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Piping on the hats is nice and crisp on these - and that's a bugger to do properly. Well done!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

It looks great Giles! I like the pack animal a lot!

Christopher

Juan MancheƱo said...

They are perfect, sir. Wonderful colours!!!

David said...

As ever,quite wonderful work!

Willie Anderson said...

Look great Giles well done!