Sunday 2 January 2011

American artillery (4)


I would normally post artillery crews in pairs but the companion to this piece is the same Foundry pack so I'll post that in a few days with an artillery command vignette. I have had two of these packs in the lead pile for a good few years and in fact it was these packs that prompted me to spend a bit of time focusing on artillery for both sides. I already have 2 or 3 of this firing crew in my collection so decided to paint one of the new packs in the buff facings of Lamb's New York company of 1775. I appreciate that this uniform is not really "correct" for anything outside of the invasion of Canada (during which campaign Lamb's company was all but wiped out), but it makes a nice change from blue coats with red facings.

I painted the gun in a completely different way. All my other American guns are in a natural wood colour. For the 4 new American guns I am working on I decided to paint the guns themselves in the reddish-brown colour that I have read about on TMP and other fora. Apparently Continental gun carriages were sometimes painted in a red oxide colour, which was also commonly used on farm and other buildings - see the picture of the Neilson House on the Saratoga battlefield here. For the gun carriage I used the Foundry "Terracotta" palette and then "Blackened Barrel" for the metal work. The buff facings on the artillerymen were painted with the Foundry "Buff" palette with a final highlight of Coat d'Arms "Bone".

4 figures. Painted December 2010.



7 comments:

jmezz382 said...

Fantastic painting ... Great job

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

I think it looks great and I well understand the need to change things up from time to time.

Cheers
Christopher

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Love the gun carriage color! Good crew too.

Best regards for a happy 2011,

Stokes

Paulalba said...

Brilliant Giles,
Your attention to detail is amazing.
Cheers
Paul

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Lovely black lining on the gunners. The gun model is wonderfully shaded as well!

Sire Godefroy said...

With Foundry going mad at pricing the Continentals went down on my list considerably. Too bad since there are such nice models in their ranges.
Great painting, like the beleagured expression on the master gunner's face.

Cheers
SG

AD said...

Very nice work.

Your wrote:

"I appreciate that this uniform is not really "correct" for anything outside of the invasion of Canada"

Wasn't this also the uniform of Hamilton's New York artillery during the Trenton/Princeton campaign?